BBN Peering issues

Mark Tripod mark at exodus.net
Sun Aug 16 21:18:39 UTC 1998

According to BBN's version of the story, Exodus is a customer and not a
peer. If I had my way I would offer every BBN customer that was not dual
homed free connectivity to one of our Data Centers for a year.
Unfortunately we are not a traditional access provider in that we offer
colocation connectivty rather than circuit connectivity.

At any rate, I agree that the ultimate decision will be made by the
stockholders and BBN customers. It is unfortunate that in the mean time
a few unknowing BBN customers will lose connectivity to some of the
largest web sites on the Internet.

Mark

Michael Shields wrote:

> The reason it's worked is that connecting network A to network B
> generally provides value to both, so we've had a multi-decade
> connectfest.  Value of connecting exceeded cost of connecting.
>
> Lately we are seeing shadings between the traditional "customer/peer"
> dichotomy.  Traditionally peers treated each other as true equals
> because the cost of determining the relative value to A of connecting
> to B and to B of connecting to A in order to determine who should pay
> whom, including badwill cost, exceeded the expected payment.
>
> BBN thinks is no longer the case and if you are going to convince them
> otherwise, you'll have to convince them that it is in *their* best
> interest to continue free peering with Exodus, not that it is in
> "the Internet's" best interest.
>
> As Karl says, an effective way to do that is to cancel your BBN
> contract.  In fact this is almost certainly the only effective way to
> convince them.  If you're not a BBN customer there is no reason they
> should listen to you.
> --
> Shields, CrossLink.

    Mark Tripod - Senior Network Architect - Exodus Communications
      http://www.exodus.net - (888) 2-EXODUS - support at exodus.net
           ASN 3967 - NASDAQ (EXDS) - Direct: (408) 346-2389