Route filtering

Kummer, Joerg {PYN~Basel} JOERG.KUMMER at Roche.COM
Fri Aug 14 15:04:54 UTC 1998

Q:Is there a common denominator in terms of route filtering
  policies on different ISP transit networks ?

I know of
- http://www.sprintlink.net/filter.htm

- A message in the NANOG mailing list archive
  http://www.cctec.com/maillists/nanog/historical/9701/msg00645.html
  indicates that AGIS used to do route filtering - excerpt:
  >Essentially, they will filter on /19 in the 206+.
  >They will filter on /24 for the 192-205 range.
  >Everything else (0-191) will be filtered in the /16.

  However, I did not see any confirmation of that on AGIS' web server.
  Q: Does anybody know more about (current/planned) AGIS' policies ?

I did not find more info in the NANOG mailing list archive...
The info on http://www.nanog.org/filter.html is somehow disappointing

We are customer of several ISPs and are trying to get an overview of
filtering policies. We plan to run around 10 Internet access lines
with different ISPs internationally in the next year (current: 6).
We use NAT, no BGP; we would prefer using our own addresses rather
than ISP-provided addresses.

->> Q: what should we ask the ISPs to advertise for us to get
    the best routeability ?

We have the following public addresses:
     145.245.0.0/16
     151.120.0.0/16
     141.167.0.0/16
     162.132.0.0/16
     196.3.32.0/20
     196.3.48.0/21
     (there are some more Class Cs)

Previous plan was:
- access #1 : 145.245.0.0/16
- access #2 : 151.120.0.0/16
- access #3 : 141.167.0.0/16
- access #4 : 162.132.0.0/16
- access #5 : 145.245.160.0/19
... more /19s because we thought /19 would be safer than /24.
and then we found out about the Sprintlink filtering policies.

Current plan:
- access #1 : 145.245.0.0/16
- access #2 : 151.120.0.0/16
- access #3 : 141.167.0.0/16
- access #4 : 162.132.0.0/16
- access #5 : 196.3.32.0/24
- access #6 : 196.3.33.0/24
/24s in 196 range seem to be ok for AGIS and Sprintlink...

regards
             joerg
F. Hoffmann-La Roche LTD
Joerg Kummer, Dipl. El.Ing. ETH