FWD: Web backbone provider Priori mulls bankruptcy

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at priori.net
Thu Aug 13 08:38:08 UTC 1998

At 11:42 PM 8/12/98 -0500, Karl Denninger wrote:
>I had heard this through several sources and on a couple of lists today as
>well.

You'd be surprised how many people I heard it from. :)

Unfortunately, the rumor is correct, Priori is in bad shape and will likely
not continue as a viable business. :(  The article was ... not entirely
correct, but close enough not to quibble.  We have not filed for
bankruptcy, but the chances are high enough that I'm not willing to risk my
downstream's continued existence on ours.

I'd like to add some facts to stop the rampant rumors:

* Priori has not filed for bankruptcy, but likely will Friday or Monday
barring a miracle.
* I turned off our web page.
* The backbone is running and has a high likelihood of continuing to run
until at least 3 PM PDT, Friday, 8/14, 1998.  After that, I do not know.
* The employees are all laid off.  (I'm technically unemployed - so I can't
be speaking for "the company"! ;)
* All customers have been notified.

>Sorry to be feasting on dead bodies, but keeping people online is more
>important than netiquette right now.

I COMPLETELY agree, and I am currently working for free to get our
customers moved.  I do appreciate any offers of assistance to get my
friends and customers "on net" ASAP.  I currently have problems in the
Denver, Dallas and Boston markets.  I believe I have secured at least
temporary transit for all customers in all other cities.  There isn't a
whole lot of bandwidth necessary, but getting a loop in days is, as we all
know, nearly impossible.  If someone in our collocation facilities could
keep them up, even sub-optimally, even temporarily, I would greatly
appreciate it and donate my engineering time to do whatever was necessary
to get it done.

Here are my POP locations:

Boston
10 Second Avenue
Waltham, MA 02154
781-672
Two DS1s

Dallas
The "Infomart"
1950 Stemmons Freeway
Dallas, TX 75207
214-760
One DS1

Denver
8765 West Orchard Drive
Englewood, CO 90017
303-221
One 6 Mbps fractional DS3

All are MFS owned POPs facilities.

Even if you are not in those locations, but close or think you can rig
something for the customers, I'd love to hear from you.  Please call the
NOC line 888-477-7662 and ask for Patrick.  Thank you.

>Karl Denninger (karl at MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin

TTFN,
patrick

Patrick W. Gilmore                      voice: +1-650-482-2840
Director of Operations, CCIE #2983        fax: +1-650-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.                    http://www.priori.net
              "Tomorrow's Performance.... Today"