BBN Peering issues

alex at nac.net alex at nac.net
Wed Aug 12 16:59:17 UTC 1998

Depending on who gives in first, and when.

If Exodus breaks down and purchases connectivity from someone to get to
BBN, then obviously is will not effect BBN in the slightest. If Exodus
buys BBN routes from someone other than BBN (sprint, mci), then it gets
quite funny; more PX's or MAE's get overloaded with traffic that was
privately between Exodus and BBN, and BBN has caused one of its
competitors (MCI/Sprint/whoever Exodus ends up buying from (if they do))
to gain more revunue flow.

Considering that BBN is the one who cut peering with Exodus, I presume
Exodus will have a bad taste in thier mouth, and not buy from BBN (I could
guess that BBN assumed this also).

With all this in mond, BBN, IMHO, made a horrendously poor choice.

BBN, turning peering into a boys club.

> That is yet to be seen. If this move reduces the quality of connectivity
> for their customers they could lose a lot of business too.

                  Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
			 I route, therefore I am.
       Alex Rubenstein, alex at nac.net, KC2BUO, ISP/C Charter Member
               Father of the Network and Head Bottle-Washer
     Net Access Corporation, 9 Mt. Pleasant Tpk., Denville, NJ 07834
 Don't choose a spineless ISP! We have more backbone!  http://www.nac.net