Q:Why router with ATM interface comes out earlier than pure SONET interface?

Christian Kuhtz ck at bellsouth.net
Mon Aug 3 23:35:28 UTC 1998

> If the cell size was 1505 or larger would it still be lower efficiency
> than 53 bytes? Sooner or later they'll probably try to come up with ATMng
> won't they?

It is already here.  Called IP.  IP over SONET.  With lots of IP QoS
mechanisms bolted on.

That is, if somebody can figure out a way to do private line (circuit
emulation) through an IP cloud.  ATM will be an interim step, in my opinion.

Cheers,
Chris

--
Christian Kuhtz, BellSouth Corp., Sr. Network Architect  <ck at bellsouth.net>