Two renumbering questions

John R Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu Apr 30 02:40:44 UTC 1998

> > 1.  I have a /24 SWIPed to me, 205.238.207.0.  The ARIN listing doesn't say
> > it's non-portable, so can I take it with me?  And if I do, how likely is it
> > that the new ISP's announcement will get installed in backbone routers
> > rather than filtered for being too long?  It's right in the middle of the old
> > upstream's block 205.238.192/18.
>
> If you *own* the block, you can do anything you want with it.

Well, there's the question -- I have no idea who owns it.  Look it up in
ARIN, it says it's mine, but with contact info from epix, the old upstream.
Again, though, even if I own it, if the announcements don't make it into the
backbone it's not very useful, and I gather that some backbones now filter at
/19 except for the swamp.

> Sure, a host modify (http://rs.internic.net/cgi-bin/itts/host) will set you
> up.  If you can, I'd try to overlap service so when things fubar, you can
> always fallback to pieces-parts 'till you can figure things out :)

My ISP (the local independent telco who is quite sharp) is doing what
they can but epix is less than helpful.

Regards,
Finger for PGP key, f'print = 3A 5B D0 3F D9 A0 6A A4  2D AC 1E 9E A6 36 A3 47