Two renumbering questions

Ravi Pina ravi at bird.iagnet.net
Thu Apr 30 02:29:04 UTC 1998

> My ISP is changing upstreams for a variety of reasons around May 18th.

That is unfortunate.

> 1.  I have a /24 SWIPed to me, 205.238.207.0.  The ARIN listing doesn't say
> it's non-portable, so can I take it with me?  And if I do, how likely is it
> that the new ISP's announcement will get installed in backbone routers
> rather than filtered for being too long?  It's right in the middle of the old
> upstream's block 205.238.192/18.

If you *own* the block, you can do anything you want with it.  I don't think
there is an issue with with routing, you just have to do it.  Then again, I
may be wrong.

> 2.  Assuming I have to renumber, I have a whole bunch of virtual domains all
> DNS served from one server in the renumbered space called ivan.iecc.com.
> (There's other servers elsewhere that won't get renumbered.) If I tell the
> Internic that ivan's host number has changed, will that update all the
> domains served from it?

Sure, a host modify (http://rs.internic.net/cgi-bin/itts/host) will set you
up.  If you can, I'd try to overlap service so when things fubar, you can
always fallback to pieces-parts 'till you can figure things out :)

-ravi