Network Operators and smurf

Brian Holt holt at nap.net
Sat Apr 25 20:56:40 UTC 1998

At 12:30 PM 4/25/98 -0400, Al Reuben wrote:
>The big question is, what do you do if most of your traffic _is_
>asymetrical? I mean, a more basic check could be, "Does the network that
>this packet was sourced from exist *at all*?", or "Do I have a route back
>to the source network through *any* interface?"

If your network is configured for shortest-exit routing, the peer routers
that you would most likely use this on would have a very symmetrical view
on traffic.  This would appear to make this option look very enticing..

My major concern in using this is exactly how large of a CPU hit running
this function costs.  Does anyone have a feel on what this does to RSP2s &
4s on 75xx series routers with a decent amount of tables and traffic?

Bri
--
Brian Holt
Network Engineer