Network Operators and smurf

Jay R. Ashworth jra at scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us
Fri Apr 24 21:53:02 UTC 1998

On Fri, Apr 24, 1998 at 05:51:06PM -0400, Dean Anderson wrote:
> At 5:03 PM -0400 4/24/98, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> >> The problem is us.  This isn't a research network run and maintained by
> >> the knowledgable.  This is a business.  We're selling a product, and if we
> >> expect it to operate as advertised, it's up to us to educate those we sell
> >> it to.
> >
> >The problem isn't us.  It's cicso, and Bay, and Ascend, and... everyone
> >who won't put an anti-forging filter on their border routers so we
> >_can_ turn it on.  The first time someone co-sues cisco, it'll get
> >fixed with 30 days.
>
> They put the software in. "We" just won't turn them on.  We have seen the
> enemy and they is us.

Off-line survey: if you operate a border router or dialup access server
(Livingston, Ascend, USR TC, etc), please mail me directly and tell me
1) whether your device has a know to llow you to drop incoming packets
with forged source addreses, 2) what it defaults to, and 3) how well
it's called out in the documentation.  Please include specific model
numbers, and software release numbers if possible.

Do _not_ reply to the list; I'll summarize.

It's been my understanding that the knobs are in fact _not_ there,
Dean, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Cheers,
-- jra
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,
Tampa Bay, Florida             on alt.fan.heinlein             +1 813 790 7592

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com