Filtering ICMP (Was Re: SMURF amplifier block list)

Jason Lixfeld jlixfeld at idirect.ca
Fri Apr 24 02:53:20 UTC 1998

Then how do you propose to effectively block smurf coming IN?  You are
totally asking for it if you need to rely on your upstreams to protect
you.  I agree with you.  If we all deny ICMP, yeah it will fuck up the
Internet -- Good.  I hope we all suffer.  Maybe then people will
start to listen and actually do something instead of sitting back laughing
at everyone else who is getting attacked because they are convinced that
it will never happen to them.

Seriously.. what do you recommend?  I'm totally open.  I'm using deny icmp
to protect myself.  I'm up to an alternative.