MAE-East snafu redux

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Apr 22 07:06:23 UTC 1998

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Jeremiah Kristal wrote:

> Has everyone just become so used to terrible performace at MAE-East, or am
> I the only one seeing problems?  I'm seeing perfect performance to
> networks connected to Gigaswitch 1 (excluding overloaded ports), but
> 15-20% packet loss to anyone connected to any other Gigaswitch.  In the
> past MFS would jump on these tickets, find a frozen card on Gigaswitch 6,
> reset it, and clear the trouble.  It has been over 24 hours since I opened
> a ticket, I've spoken with MFS Datanet Engineering, and I still don't
> think I've spoken to anyone at MFS who is aware that all traffic between
> Gigaswitches goes through Giga6.
> If anyone has time tonight, could they check performance to other
> providers on the same Gigaswitch and on other Gigas.  If you need to know
> which provider is on which switch, go to
> http://www.mfsdatanet.com:80/MAE/east.map.html
> Thanks, and hopefully this is on topic, even if it doesn't contain actual
> router commands.  :)

http://208.234.102.97/MAE/east.aggr.overlay.html

The past two years it has been a pretty much smoothe curve in the traffic
graph, but the past months (as soon as it started hitting 1500mbit/s) the
graph started to get rugged the way it is now. I interpret that as
trouble... It used to spike a few times a week max, nowadays it seems to
do that hourly.

I interpret that as overload.

-----
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se