ARIN Services

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Sun Apr 19 02:40:44 UTC 1998

On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Dean Robb wrote:

> At 10:43 4/18/98 -0400, you wrote:
> >Dean sez:
> >All the questions can probably be answered by noting that ARIN is a
> >non-profit arm of NSI.
> >
> >this is not true
>
> http://rs.arin.net/faq.html
>
> "17. What are the roles of Network Solutions and the InterNIC?
>
> NSI’s role is to sponsor ARIN, providing assistance to its establishment
> and providing initial support of ARIN until ARIN is self-funding. Once this
> is achieved, there will be no ties--financial, management or other--between
> the two organizations. ARIN will be an independent, non-profit organization
> responding to its membership. "
>
> Since it is not yet self-funding, what, exactly, part is untrue of my
> statement?

I don't claim to have the definitive answer but this FAQ was written when
the plan was for NSI to donate a pile of money to finance the first year
of ARIN operations. But I believe that this plan fell through and this
financing never happened. Even if it had happened, ARIN is an independent
non-profit corporation meaning that there are no shareholders other than
the members therefore there is no outside control like you find in the
corporate world.