SMURF amplifier block list

Stan Barber sob at academ.com
Wed Apr 15 00:41:46 UTC 1998

> As far as .0 and .255 addresses go, I'm no more "asking for trouble" by
> using those than I'm asking for trouble by running an IRC server.  They
> are completely valid addresses.  Perhaps those making such comments are
> better at getting IP space than we are, but we need to squeeze every IP we
> possibly can into use just to provide enough addresses to our customers.

Actually, in the old classful days, you were probably asking for trouble
to use those addresses. Today, when everyone is running fully classless IP
stacks (everyone is doing that, right?), they should be usable. However,
I'd personally avoid them for any host that might have to get regular access
to other parts of the Internet (those parts that might still be running
really old stacks). You can probably insure they will work inside your
network, but you may not be able to guarantee they will work elsewhere.
Stan   | Academ Consulting Services        |internet: sob at academ.com
Olan   | For more info on academ, see this |uucp: mcsun!academ!sob
Barber | URL- http://www.academ.com/academ |Opinions expressed are only mine.