SMURF amplifier block list

James R. Cutler James.Cutler at iscg.eds.com
Tue Apr 14 20:52:06 UTC 1998

Jay,

I have a B assignment.  I have switched infrastructure segments
with /22 masking.  Do you mean to say that the host number
range on each /22 masked segment is not continuous 1 through 1022,
but has several holes instead.? The network seems to be working
properly.  I may be in big trouble!

None of my TCP/IP courses or books or Cisco CDs have prepared me for
such a surprise.  Please point me to a text which will explain this.

Thanks for your help.

	JimC

At 3:36 PM -0400 4/14/98, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>On Tue, Apr 14, 1998 at 08:49:04AM -0700, Aaron Beck wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
>> > Then again, filtering any packets to or from x.x.x.255 would have a
>> > similar but more profound effect.  Anyone who actually uses a .255
>> > address for a host is asking for trouble anyways.
>>
>> the problem with that thinking, of course, is going to crop up when you
>> encounter /23's and greater.
>
>No, IMHO, the comment stands: no matter _what_ size your network is, if
>you assign host addresses with a .0 or .255 final octet, things may
>break, and you deserve what you get.
>
>Cheers,
>-- jra
>--
>Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra at baylink.com
>Member of the Technical Staff             Unsolicited Commercial Emailers Sued
>The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,
>Tampa Bay, Florida             on alt.fan.heinlein             +1 813 790 7592
>
>Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com

-
James R. Cutler
EDS , 800 Tower Drive, Troy, MI 48098
Phone: +1 248 265 7514   FAX: +1 248 265 7514
EDS Internal Web: <http://www.iscg.eds.com/cutler/>
World Wide Web: <http://www.ltu.edu/midecus/dechtm/cutler/cutler.htm>