AS8584 taking over the internet

Jerry Scharf scharf at vix.com
Thu Apr 9 23:15:21 UTC 1998

There are people who go both ways on this. MCI clearly has a serious foot in
the IRR camp, just as I do in the DNS camp. I tried to stay away from my
opinions of the two options. I was hoping more to stimulate people to look and
think than to debate IRR vs DNS here.

As for not trusting the IP registries, I don't see that. We have to trust the
registries to make unique IP allocations, and since that what routes are
talking about, it's the best place to start. Where the rest of the (which
ASs..) data goes is not the same, and can/will be argued out. Neither existing
proposal suggests that the routing data be in the IP registries. My point is
if the IP regitries don't play, we loose before we start.

jerry