oh, for goodness' sake.

Stephen Sprunk sprunk at paranet.com
Thu Apr 9 00:01:19 UTC 1998

Michael Dillon wrote:

> One of the stated uses of .INT is for international databases and that
> seems to be the reason that the reverse DNS for IPv6 is under .INT rather
> than .ARPA. Of course it may not be too late for IPv6 to be changes and
> for all important infrastructure info to be moved to .ARPA. We could even
> rationalize things somewhat, i.e.
>
> IN-ADDR.ARPA
> IP6.ARPA
> NET.ARPA  for IP netblock whois info
> ARIN.NET.ARPA  |
> RIPE.NET.ARPA  |-queries to NET.ARPA will be redirected to one of these
> APNIC.NET.ARPA |
> RS.ARPA - route servers
> IANA.ARPA - IANA databases such as MIBs, port assignments

Quoted from RFC 1032:

      "ARPA" is a temporary domain.  It is by default appended to the
      names of hosts that have not yet joined a domain.  When the system
      was begun in 1984, the names of all hosts in the Official DoD
      Internet Host Table maintained by the NIC were changed by adding
      of the label ".ARPA" in order to accelerate a transition to the
      domain-naming system.  Another reason for the blanket name changes
      was to force hosts to become accustomed to using the new style
      names and to modify their network software, if necessary.  This
      was done on a network-wide basis and was directed by DCA in DDN
      Management Bulletin No. 22.  Hosts that fall into this domain will
      eventually move to other branches of the domain tree.

IN-ADDR.ARPA. is an obvious exception (reasoning in RFC 973), but I
think it's clear that the above info has no place being put in ARPA.

My vote's for NIC.INT.  I'm still searching for the correct RFC on INT
rules to see if that's appropriate, however.

Stephen

Stephen Sprunk      "Oops."                 Email: sprunk at paranet.com
Sprint Paranet        -Albert Einstein      ICBM:  33.00151N 96.82326W