*scream* Cannot contact AT&T WorldNet NOC

Sean Donelan SEAN at SDG.DRA.COM
Mon Sep 29 05:43:03 UTC 1997

>SprintLink is our upstream.  After three hours they called back and
>said that I "have to contact the Computer Crimes Division of the
>FBI".  Since the attempts stoped hours ago, I'm just going to pay
>close attention to my logs and follow up if it happens again.

I'm schocked!

The catch-22 of Internet problem reporting, providers who don't
accept trouble calls from non-customers and won't do trouble referrals
between providers.  I'm always amused when a provider with who we
have no business relationship calls our NOC and expects help, yet
when we call their NOC they refuse the call because we aren't a
customer.

Alternatives:
	- Call the FBI Computer Crime Squad (202) 324-9164, which
	  will probally be very unsatisfying unless you can document
	  a large dollar loss
	- Find a new upstream which will handle the problem referrals
	  for you, if you find one, let me know
	- Form relationships yourself with other providers so you can
	  do your own inter-provider problem referal

In any case, release of customer information without the permission
of the customer will require some type of legal order.