Filter on postoffice.reston.mci.net

Kevin Houle kevin at netins.net
Wed Sep 24 19:18:43 UTC 1997

On Wed, 24 Sep 1997 14:45:01 -0400 (EDT)
Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net> wrote:

> Kevin.. it works if you give the proper machine name in the HELO

MCI's iNOC pretty much confirmed there was a filter in place,
as did the systems person I finally reached thanks to some
key responses from this list. Probably a spam relay block of
some kind. The '550 Access denied' reponse is that they use
in their SMTP filters. postoffice.reston.mci.net was down for
two hours and counting when I got them on the phone, so with
local MCI users not being able to send mail, I was not a high
priority :)

At any rate, the 'HELO netins.net' statement is a result of
host masquerading (DMnetins.net). Same thing happens with a
FQDN :

220 postoffice.Reston.mci.net ESMTP Sendmail 8.8.5/8.8.5; Wed, 24 Sep 1997 15:16
:25 -0400 (EDT)
HELO worf.netins.net
250 postoffice.Reston.mci.net Hello kevin at worf.netins.net [167.142.225.4], pleas
ed to meet you