Filter on postoffice.reston.mci.net

Kevin Houle kevin at netins.net
Wed Sep 24 16:59:31 UTC 1997

Okay, I give up. Apparently MCI has an SMTP filter either
on the domain netins.net or on something in the 167.142.0.0/16
network on postoffice.reston.mci.net.

[167.142.225.4]$ telnet postoffice.reston.mci.net 25
Trying 204.70.128.20...
Connected to postoffice.reston.mci.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 postoffice.Reston.mci.net ESMTP Sendmail 8.8.5/8.8.5; Wed, 24 Sep 1997 11:2)
HELO netins.net
250 postoffice.Reston.mci.net Hello kevin at worf.netins.net [167.142.225.4],
pleased..
MAIL FROM:<kevin at netins.net>
550 Access denied
QUIT

I've called the iNOC, they sent me to a 'systems group'. The systems
group listened carefully and wrote down the error code '550 Access
denied' before shuffling me off to the Reston office. There, I spoke
to a very nice sales person, who searched a list of voicemail boxes
she might forward me to.

We pay MCI good money, and find ourselves unable to send mail to
trouble at mci.net or other MCI addresses. Now I'm stuck in the MCI
phone maze. If there was an incedent warrenting an SMTP filter,
we'd certainly deal with it if notified. I know if that happened
with one of our downstream customers, we'd actually contact them
before throwing in filters.

Anyone know who takes care of postoffice.reston.mci.net ?

Kevin