Ascend/BGP4 <-> hop <-> Cisco/BGP4

Neil J. McRae neil at domino.org
Wed Sep 24 09:00:02 UTC 1997

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997 20:56:16 -0500
 Phil Howard <phil at charon.milepost.com> wrote:

> Has anyone done a BGP4 peering between an Ascend GRF and a Cisco IOS when
> there is an extra hop in between?  I want to be on the lookout for the
> pitfalls.  The Ascend GRF will be on my side, as well the extra hop which
> is needed because Ascend isn't shipping T1 media cards for the GRF, yet.
> So we have to do with an ethernet first link out.  I'm assuming both of
> my upstreams are running Cisco 7xxx.  The topology looks like:

I've not done it with the GRF but I have done this with BSD/OS and
gated, and it worked OK. [still is working AFAIK :-)]

[
 8  baynard-mega-int-e3.bt.net (194.72.1.254)  40.246 ms  19.178 ms  10.848 ms
 9  galaxians.router.easynet.net (193.131.248.185)  23.402 ms  45.58 ms  45.057 ms
]
When we did this is just worked. Although I'm not sure what BTnet did [if
anything] to make the intermediate hop work ok.

They need to specify egp-multihop

Cheers,
Neil.
--
Neil J. McRae. Alive and Kicking.       Domino: In the glow of the night.
neil at DOMINO.ORG        NetBSD/sparc: 100% SpF (Solaris protection Factor)