Traffic Engineering

John A. Tamplin jat at traveller.com
Thu Sep 18 03:41:15 UTC 1997

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> > We do this already, but the main problem we run into is customers are
> > hesitant to buy services from a direct competitor.  Doesn't matter that we
> > are cheaper or have good connectivity, but that they don't want to have to
> > sell against who they are buying services from.  The fact the MCI/Sprint/etc
> > all sell local access doesn't seem to bother them as much.
>
> Ok... so only sell to resellers?  Does that cut too far into the profit
> margin?

Well, that would mean dumping a known, profitable set of customers for a much
smaller set of potential customers.  Perhaps a startup could choose to
target those customers, but we can't afford to throw away what we have
built up.

John Tamplin					Traveller Information Services
jat at Traveller.COM				2104 West Ferry Way
205/883-4233x7007				Huntsville, AL 35801