too many routes

David Paul Zimmerman dpz at apple.com
Tue Sep 16 22:49:31 UTC 1997

>Some people seem to view CIDR as an opportunity to
>subdivide their traditional 'Class B' networks.  I would classify
>most of these announcements as 'mistakes' because they usually also
>announce the supernet, and have the same path.

I could see the intentional announcement of both if you've got diverse --
but ultimately equal -- paths into your B.  So site X might advertise
B.0/17 to normally receive the low half of the address range, site Y
might advertise B.128/17 to normally receive the high half, and both
sites would advertise B/16 so that if one site went down in that
scenario, the other's B/16 advertisement would take over for the failed
site's /17.  In a normal case, though, you'd see the /16 and /17 with the
same path.

Does this pattern seem to apply to any of the announcements you see?

                                                  dp