Am I the bonehead or is it SprintLink?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us
Tue Sep 16 17:25:31 UTC 1997

On Tue, Sep 16, 1997 at 01:17:03PM -0400, Brian Horvitz wrote:
> Could be that they physically handle full and partial T1 circuits on
> different facilities.  I would imagine that Sprint brings in many circuits
> on a large trunk so, to avoid the interruption of moving one end of the
> circuit which could take it down for hours while the telco does their work,
> they just install a new circuit and the customer does a cutover.

It could, I suppose... but it's not too likely.  I presume you mean
that they terminate Full- and Frac-T services on different routers at
their end?  Maybe, but who cares?  I've done this sort of thing on Frame
circuits, and it runs just the way he expected: you put two people on
the circuit on the phone, they both flip the same switched at the same
time, and your throughput changes.  If they'll _upgrade_ you from Frac-
to Full- that way, why in hell won't they downgrade you?

The finances should be immaterial to the engineering, in this case.

Cheers,
-- jra
The Suncoast Freenet      "People propose, science studies, technology
Tampa Bay, Florida          conforms."  -- Dr. Don Norman      +1 813 790 7592