ATM (was Re: too many routes)

Jan Novak jan.novak at aliatel.cz
Mon Sep 15 17:35:06 UTC 1997

Is this course of basic physics or NANOG mailing list ????

>65% the speed of light in a vacuum ?
>
>> > The equivalent EMR propagation speed in coppr is 0.75c
>>
>> What is EMR?
>
>Electo-Magnetic Radiation.  Electrons don't count as EMR do they though,
>(hell they have a mass!)  so data in the form we transmit it down
>copper won't move at this speed will it?

True, electrons have mass, but we are not 'transmitting' electrons. We are
oscilating the electrons in the media. This oscilation creats EM energy
which propogates down the media, in the form of photos, and will propogate
at some percentage of c depending upon the media.