too many routes

Tony Li tli at juniper.net
Mon Sep 15 08:01:54 UTC 1997

hannan at bythetrees.com (Alan Hannan) writes:

>   On that tangent, however, flooding is what we're
>   mostly concerned about, and it's just not that bad.

Alan,

You are correctly concerned about flooding, however, I suspect that you're
underestimating the scalability problems of flooding.  Please recall that
it's O(n^2) in the number of nodes in your mesh.  This is a serious threat
to building very large domains.  In addition, the full mesh prevents
hierarchical abstraction within the domain, defeating the other obvious
mechanism for IGP scalability.

Tony