switching versus routing ATM redux

Richard Irving rirving at onecall.net
Sat Sep 13 15:47:40 UTC 1997

On Sat, 13 Sep 1997, William Allen Simpson wrote:

> Wading thru the flood in the past two days, I was wondering why Carmen

> Hillenburg <carmenh at onecall.net> is answering Richard Irving
> <rirving at onecall.net> email?

 My significant other used my email while I was at work ;>

> Thus, ATM takes more bandwidth (is slower) and more cell switches (is
> slower), cumulatively at every hop.  Slower is slower is slower....

 Interesting note, I think all cross country timing data coming in is
across ATM paths. Anyone have HSSI ?

 Regarding the deluge. It started when someone said, "Ok, what advantage

does ATM have that IP doesn't" and I named 2. It started a Holy war.

 I had no Idea...

 Chris, I may never respond to you again.... ;)

However, it is dragging to an end. *phew*

 We will know a fairly close representation of the ratio of overhead to
cross the country, vs the speed of light ;).
 We have had input from some of the more interesting people in the
field.
 And many interesting , yet *differing* views, yours is yet another.

 I would have stopped it long ago, but I felt obliged to at least
answer.
It is sort of an obsession of mine to make the data I *see*, correlate
with the information the experts in the industry are offering......

 Who is Richard Irving? No one! Just a tech like you, tasked
with "The Net". Our company is an IXC, we run a hybrid-exchange
(Giga-POP), and also carry our own ATM and IP circuits.
(Routers, ATM Switches, IP Switches, and Telco:(ISDN/Pots) Switches.)
We have a couple thousand T's around the country , (not all ip ;( ),
Lots of "Hot glass" (up to OC48), and clean circuits. (Bandwidth Heaven)

 We buy/sell pipe from MFS, TWarner, Ameritech, etc.. And provide
advanced communications to customers: U.S. based ATM, IP, LD, LDIP, and
Frame.  We function primarily as a bandwidth/advanced communications
*wholesaler*, so you don't hear of us much. We are a C based shop,
and also provide "Custom" Data services to the Carrier/Communications
industry.

 Want a brochure? : mailto://[email protected], or
                    mailto://[email protected]
 as I am beginning to sound too much like a salesman for comfort.   ;)

No one, Just a tech who has to deal with so many technologies throughout

the course of a week, that I begin to "bleed over" acronyms, and confuse

everyone when I post ;)

  But, I am a member of NANOG, I think that counts! ;)

  Richard