The subject of being off the subject in the nanog list

Phil Howard phil at charon.milepost.com
Sat Sep 13 03:43:52 UTC 1997

Bill Clark writes...

> Now with that said, if someone were to ask hey anyone know where I can
> find gated? Then fine that's acceptable but 40 different people
> shouldn't post to address hey get it here at ftp.gated.com  Why not send
> e-mail directly to that person.  If somebody else says hey I am looking
> for that too, don't post it to nanog, send e-mail to the person who
> posed the question, hey if you get a good answer forward to me.  By
> applying this practice we can eliminate the unnecessary e-mail and make
> life a little easier for yourself.  It might be easier for you to post
> to the group and wait for some other people to post to the group but you
> are inconveniencing the rest of us, you want the benefits you bear the
> inconvenience of looking up that person's e-mail address and replying to
> them.  Concept discussions are generally well received here, but hey my
> router keeps rebooting doesn't really need a thread of weeks to follow.

I'd like to add one thing to this.  If what you ask for is something
you really do believe others have potential interest in, be prepared
to take replies by mail and compose a summary of the responses and
answer you got.  Post it as one message.  Then those of us intersted
in the answer can share in it, yet with the convenience of just one
message instead of a flurry of 40 or so.

Even if you misjudge the topic, just one summary response that is off
topic is easier to deal with than the flurry of 40 similar responses
mostly saying the same thing.

--
KA9WGN       | House committee changes freedom bill to privacy invasion !! |