Definition of transit

Bradley Dunn bradley at dunn.org
Fri Sep 12 20:06:43 UTC 1997

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Nathan Stratton wrote:

> If they buy transit, or do not buy transit from UUNet makes no difference.
> You don't see a problem with pointing default at UUNet or any other
> provider?

Ummm...correct me if I am wrong, but isn't transit usually defined as
being given explicit permission to send any and all traffic to the party
from whom transit is being bought? You mean ISP X who buys transit
from NSP Y can't point default at them? Why not? Isn't that what they are
paying for?

Or did you get confused and really mean that NSP X shouldn't be providing
transit over a public exchange point? As Alex pointed out, it was only as
a last resort that transit traffic would flow over the XP.

pbd
--
"Seems she thought of me as some mystic, fatalistic, mystical guru
 Me, I haven't got a clue."