not rewriting next-hop, pointing default, ...s

Avi Freedman freedman at netaxs.com
Fri Sep 12 19:52:28 UTC 1997

> > Before you throw too many stones, these guys (I happen to know) take
> > transit from UUnet, and not, before you ask, over the MAE. Personally
> > I don't see a problem with this behaviour as a last resort.
>
> If they buy transit, or do not buy transit from UUNet makes no difference.
> You don't see a problem with pointing default at UUNet or any other
> provider? This trace was to a network that did not exist, so it should not
> have been sent to UUNet.

I'm not parsing your query.
The trace was to a network that did not exist and was sent to UUNet
because someone, with UUNet's permission presumably, had a preexisting
default route.

I have network.
You want access.
You buy T3 to me.
I send you routes.
Also, you default to me over a common exchange point as a backup.
T3 goes down.
Things fall over due to default route automagically.
Yes, it can be done with BGP and metrics over the common XP but
sometimes isn't.

Some question whether the XPs should be used for customer connectivity,
but that's a separate issue.

Or is that what you're driving at?

> Nathan Stratton                             President, CTO, NetRail,Inc.

Avi