not rewriting next-hop, pointing default, ...s

Nathan Stratton nathan at netrail.net
Fri Sep 12 15:59:38 UTC 1997

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Avi Freedman wrote:

> I have network.
> You want access.
> You buy T3 to me.
> I send you routes.
> Also, you default to me over a common exchange point as a backup.
> T3 goes down.
> Things fall over due to default route automagically.
> Yes, it can be done with BGP and metrics over the common XP but
> sometimes isn't.
>
> Some question whether the XPs should be used for customer connectivity,
> but that's a separate issue.
>
> Or is that what you're driving at?

YES, just look at the data going over MAE-East and MAE-West a large
amount of that traffic is for customer connectivity. I guess it will not
mater most NSPs are setting up private peering, so the NAPs will soon just
turn into a place to sell transit. I just think it did not need to turn
out that way. Also of the current defaults at MAE-East most of them are
not there with permission from the provider they are point to. I have had
2 peers at MAE-East point default to me in the last 3 months.

Nathan Stratton                             President, CTO, NetRail,Inc.
Phone   (888)NetRail                           NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (404)522-1939                          230 Peachtree Suite 500
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Atlanta, GA 30303