spam and CIDR blocks

Jon Lewis jlewis at inorganic5.fdt.net
Fri Sep 12 03:04:52 UTC 1997

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Jared Mauch wrote:

> > Are there still spammers that don't use "innocent" relays to spread their
> > junk?  As long as there are reachable relaying servers somewhere on the
> > net, the spammers have nothing to worry about.
>
> 	freerelay.cyberpromo.com

Cyberpromo must work both ways then.  I've gotten spams recently that
originated at cyberpromo but were relayed through any number of unrelated
sites across the world.

> > How many spam houses have their own CIDR blocks?  Not having looked, I'd
> > guess few if any.
>
> 	Not many.. only the big ones.  If you're going to get into denying

Do any really?  I'd be amazed if cyberpromo could justify enough IP's to
get a globally routable CIDR block.  As was already mentioned, having
large blocks of IP's that are nearly unusable because they are in so many
blacklists should obviously not be a valid "use" of IP space, and should
not be justification for getting more space.

> 	The problem is that any sort of blacklist maintained by more than
> one person in their spare time gets into very sticky legal issues, and should

Depends on how you maintain, distribute, and talk about it.

 Jon Lewis <jlewis at fdt.net>  |  Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
 Network Administrator       |  be proof-read for $199/message.
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |