too many routes

Kent W. England kwe at geo.net
Fri Sep 12 00:29:40 UTC 1997

At 08:33 PM 9/10/97 -0400, Sean M. Doran wrote:

>... I decided to issue a warning that once the /8 that the
>InterNIC was using had filled up (and after some
>discussion, once RIPE and APNIC proceeded to allocate from
>new /8s), I would begin filtering all new unicast
>addresses to ignore Sprintward announcements of any prefix
>longer than 18 bits.  Moreover, I also announced that I
>would filter out any subnets of historically classful As
>and Bs.

But you didn't actually do it then.

>The warning was several months old when people started
>noticing that they couldn't reach things behind
>Sprintlink, and alot of time was spent explaining to
>people that this shouldn't have surprised them at all.

And the reason they started noticing it later was because
only then did you actually implement the filters, without
further notice, instead of much earlier. The surprise was
due to the fact that you did it without further notice
and not the fact that you did it.

--Kent