new CAIDA tool: Mapnet (warning: of possible operational utility)

k claffy kc at nlanr.net
Fri Sep 12 00:23:36 UTC 1997

what: new tool from CAIDA group

why: (original motviation)

visualization of Internet traffic and topologies is
an important next step in the global evolution of the
net.  as a result, the cooperative association of
internet data analysis (caida) is working on a new
tool -- mapnet

where:
        www.caida.org/Tools/Mapnet/Backbones

how:

mapnet will permit visualization of the infrastructure
of multiple backbone providers simultaneously. it
also allows individual isps to update and correct
information about their infrastructure, either via a
GUI or ascii mail in template form.  (see mapnet
update at www.caida.org/Tools/Mapnet/Update)

the current prototype version relies on third party
data (boardwatch, with some updates and clarifications)
each of the commercial backbones and government provided
data about federally funded r&e and mission-oriented
backbones. caida staff have translated topology
information provided in the last boardwatch release into
lat/long specific nodes on a global map.  the data are
useful in a general sense, any data from a 3rd party
obviously requires authentication. we recognize that
much backbone-specific info is outdated or wrong and
invite each provider to designate an authorized individual
to periodically update their topology data. note that we
include link, ISP, bandwidth, lat/long of cities, and
peering information if available, as well as contact folk
for the network in question.

the availability of a tool like mapnet will assist with
macro-level understanding of the internet, with
standardizing public depiction of isps' infrastructure,
and with communicating complicated peering information.
(for those isp's willing to share in such an endeavor)

we would appreciate any feedback: comments,
constructive criticism, suggestions.
please contact me or send email to
brad huffaker (lead developer, mapnet) at
mapnet at nlanr.net.

tnx

caida
kc at caida.org