too many routes

Jay R. Ashworth jra at scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us
Thu Sep 11 18:02:31 UTC 1997

On Wed, Sep 10, 1997 at 09:11:55PM -0400, Sean M. Doran wrote:
> Sanjay Dani <sanjay at professionals.com> writes:
> > There are backbone providers and there are providers of specialized
> > ISP or hosting or security etc. services that need independent* IP
> > address space and do not have to waste resources on building a private
> > "backbone".
>
> NAT.

Perhaps I misunderstood Sanjay, Sean, but I believe his concern was
that the addresses _not be the property of an upstream (ie: backbone)
provider_ to provide flexibility of connection choice.

NAT will not solve this problem; it resides at too low a level of the
theoretical architecture, being used primarily to avoid renumbering of
internetworks.  This isn't a network numbering problem, it's a routing
problem.

Cheers,
-- jra
The Suncoast Freenet      "People propose, science studies, technology
Tampa Bay, Florida          conforms."  -- Dr. Don Norman      +1 813 790 7592