too many routes

Peter Lothberg roll at Stupi.SE
Wed Sep 10 21:13:12 UTC 1997

> > On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Joseph T. Klein wrote:
> >
> > > The routes issue historically comes down to the fact that Sprint did not
> > > want to convert from Cisco 4000 to Ciscos that had larger memory capacity.
> > > Memory is cheap these days ... the big boys just don't wish to have a
> > > free market.
> >
> > I do not think sprint had 4000s in their backbone, they had AGS+ routers.
> > The problem is not the lack of memory, but that the CPU can not process
> > all the date in the memory when it needs to. The cisco 7500 have that
> > same prob, sure you can put 256 megs of RAM in them, but can the CPU
> > recalculate the next hop if most of that date in that RAM changes?
> > The new RSP4 card may have solved that, we may be at a point now where the
> > router has enough processor to be able to process all the data it has
> > stored in memory and do it quickly.
>
> AGS+'s only could handle 16meg, the cpu in a AGS+ is the same as in a 7000
> series, (motorola 68040)  As of a year ago, I believe I heard that sprint
> still had AGS+'s in their backbone and were upgrading them to 7000 series
> equipment.
>
> -- Jason
> Jason Vanick ------------------------------------------ jvanick at megsinet.net
> Network Operations Manager                                   V: 312-245-9015
> MegsInet, Inc.        225 West Ohio St. Suite #400         Chicago, Il 60610

In 1992 Sprintlink had AGS+ routers in it's network, so did everyone
else. The AGS+'es where replaced by 7000's with 64M and SSE's and then
'downgraded' to 75xx routers with 128M.

The current Sprintlink core is a mix of 75xx routers with 128M and
VIP2/80-POS oc3c interfaces and cisco 12000 routers with 256M and
oc3c and oc12c.

-Peter