too many routes

Michael Dillon michael at priori.net
Tue Sep 9 17:05:27 UTC 1997

>I would think the latter.  If so, would anyone know why it is that the
>backbone providers are so resistant to giving out blocks to do this?

If backbone operators do not efficiently allocate IP space to their
downstream customers then the next time they need additional IP space they
will not be able to get any. Everyone in the food chain has to operate
under the same policies of justifying IP space based on need and using the
space efficiently. There is more info on this at http://www.arin.net and in
particular you should have a look through the recommended reading section
especially any documents relating to CIDR.

Michael Dillon                    voice: +1-650-482-2840
Senior Systems Architect            fax: +1-650-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.              http://www.priori.net

"The People You Know.  The People You Trust."