Anyone Deployed Ascend's GRF IP Switch?

Nathan Stratton nathan at netrail.net
Tue Sep 2 13:27:00 UTC 1997

On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, Jessica Yu wrote:

> >>       Just curious, what is the size of the config file on your box?
> >
> >It is not very large 169 lines on rt3.ATL. The size of the the gated file
> >should not slow down the router. On rt2.DCA (or MAE-East router) the
> >config is 458 lines and it takes the same time to load.
>
> 	Unless you have other data to support, the fact that a box takes
> 	almost the same amount of time to load a 458 line config as
> 	a 169 liner does not at all lead to your conclusion above.
> 	Try to load a config file of size in MGs and see if it increases
> 	the loading period.
>
> 	(BTW, in case you wonder, there are providers who have such large
> 	configuration files running on routers.)

Ah, I would like to see that. The largest gated file we have had was a
little over 2000 lines. There are many things you can do to make the file
smaller. I find it hard to beleave you can have a gated file longer then a
few thousands lines that can not be compressed.

Nathan Stratton                             President, CTO, NetRail,Inc.
Phone   (888)NetRail                           NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (404)522-1939                          230 Peachtree Suite 500
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Atlanta, GA 30303