Anyone Deployed Ascend's GRF IP Switch?

Damon Hammis damonh at netrex.com
Mon Sep 1 08:48:42 UTC 1997

AGIS had about 40 of them in the last I knew.

http://www.agis.net/press25.html.

I know from experience that there are some quirks to gated, but as far as
power goes the GRF munches Ciscos.

Ciscos are much easier to work with though.

One big down point on the GRF's imho is that in order to change anything
with them you have to run a gdcreconfig, which stops and starts gated,
effectively taking down the routing for a period of time, whereas you can
add/remove a static route from a cisco and not bring down the routing.

GRF's also take about 5-10 minutes to reboot, which can be annoying.

On the other hand it's quite easy to manage users and such with the GRF's
, as they are BSD based.  Setting up authentication like Radius and
SecurID is quite simple as well.

Then there are the advantages of being able to use tools like nslookup and
whois without having to open a shell somewhere.  Very nice while
troubleshooting.

So, as with any product comparison there are pros and cons to both.  I
think that Cisco's are great, as I'm not a Unix/GateD guru, but I think
that the Ascends have a bit more power to them and will be able to better
handle the growing routing table.

Just my 2 cents.

--Damon

Damon Hammis                    Email:  damonh at netrex.com
Network Engineer                URL:    http://www.netrex.com
Netrex, Inc.                    Voice:  248-352-9643
3000 Town Center, Suite 1100    FAX:    248-352-2375
Southfield, MI  48075
Don't post messages that just say ``me too''.

----- End of forwarded message from Damon Hammis -----