Spam Control Considered Harmful

Greg A. Woods woods at most.weird.com
Fri Oct 31 07:23:57 UTC 1997

[ On Thu, October 30, 1997 at 13:42:46 (-0600), John A. Tamplin wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Spam Control Considered Harmful
>
> Ok, a customer is paying for a virtual domain service.  They want their
> outgoing mail to appear as if they are running their own mail server, they
> don't want people to know they are using someone else for it.  If they use
> their other ISP for SMTP relay, that shows up in the outgoing mail.  I
> agree this is a minor issue for me, but it is not for some of our
> customers and since the customer is paying the bill, he gets what he wants.

If a customer is paying you for virtual domain service then you'll: a)
probably have a much more substantial relationship with the customer
than you would with an ordinary dial-up user, and thus much stronger
contractual arrangements to ensure they abide by your AUP; and b) be
telling those special customers to use a special outgoing mail relay
that properly masquerades as the virtual host, i.e. not your generic
outgoing mail relay used by your average ordinary dial-up users.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>; Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>