Spam Control Considered Harmful

Jon Lewis jlewis at inorganic5.fdt.net
Fri Oct 31 04:51:51 UTC 1997

On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Peter Galbavy wrote:

> Na. Howabout making sure that *every* dial in user has a fixed IP
> address. This way you can match *in real time* or later, without
> logs who did what. OK this only fixes dial-up accounts, but that
> is a majot part of the problem - and permenantly connected sites
> already have fixed IP address space.
>
> To anticipate the next flame - it is feasible, we do it. Demon that

Sure...and when I apply to ARIN for more space and show I've assigned a
/21 worth of space to static IP dialup users, I'm sure they won't laugh
while stamping DENIED on my application :)

How does Demon get away with that sort of waste?

 Jon Lewis <jlewis at fdt.net>  |  Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
 Network Administrator       |  be proof-read for $199/message.
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |