Spam Control Considered Harmful

Cal Thixton - President - ThoughtPort Authority of Chicago cthixton at thoughtport.net
Thu Oct 30 20:04:59 UTC 1997

> you want the Federal government to step in and regulate the industry...

Am I willing to give up some control to stop what seems to be rampant abuse.  If
200 emails a day is not your threshold, what is? 400? 600?  We have similar structures
in plaec for the use of the mails, the phones, the highways.  What makes the Internet so
special?

If we were to treat the Internet like the real world, we would be charging for each
email sent instead of giving it away.  Metering each letter and billing the source
works in the real world.

Sendmail is not Panacea.  It is clever.  Were that I was bright enough to write
such a tool, even with the aid of creational drugs, but even so, it cannot out smart
man.

	cal

		"Sendmail is the most widely used AI program in the world", Mike O'Dell.

Begin forwarded message: