NAP Architecture

Leigh Porter leigh at wisper.net
Wed Oct 29 19:04:26 UTC 1997

Dave Rand wrote:

> [In the message entitled "Re: NAP Architecture" on Oct 29,  9:06, the
> Riz writes:]
> >
> > This *is* becoming more popular; in the US, the main problem is that
> many
> > (most?) of the exchange points are operated by telcos, who are
> tariffed.
> > This means that any connection between separate entities is a
> "circuit"
> > that they must charge a certain minimum amount for.  As more telcos
> manage
> > to move their exchange point operations into the non-regulated
> portion of
> > their respected businesses, this may change, and exchanges are
> currently
> > being built by non-telco entities, which are allowed to have more
> > reasonable charges to connect cages in the same facility together.
> > (Disclaimer: in my other life, I work for one such facility... the
> PAIX in
> > Palo Alto)
> >

> I'm confused.  PAIX charges a similar amount ($1000/mo) for dry copper
>
> between two consenting parties at PAIX.  Again, for $27 worth of wire,
>
> and $300 worth of labour?  This is reasonable?
>
> IMHO, $50/month is reasonable for copper cross-connects, with a $300
> installation charge.  Even $100 per month.  But $1000?

You could always go wireless and not tell anybody ;-)

In fact, if the traffic were not too bad a few interconnects could sit
on
a small wireless LAN nicely....

Is that $1000 a MONTH or just a one-off installation charge?

--

Leigh Porter - Wisper Bandwidth Plc - http://www.wisper.net
GeekCode     - http://saratoga.wisper.net:9999/~leigh/