NAP Architecture

Ben Kirkpatrick, ELI blkirk at float.eli.net
Wed Oct 29 16:25:33 UTC 1997

   Forgive my ignorance on these matters, but why haven't many NAPS tried
to be L1 based, or at least provide the option of private wire/fiber
between the larger customers in the same room.  It seems to me that this
would significantly reduce the complexity and packet-loss we're currently
seeing.  How long would it take to troubleshoot a cross-over FE compared
to trouble shooting two routers connected via a oversubscribed switch.
   Marketing types are concerned about how to bill and track these, but
there should be some easy ways around those issues.

--Ben Kirkpatrick
Data Products, Electric Lightwave, DID=360.816.3508
-not speaking for ELI, not even speaking-
"Consciousness: that annoying time between naps."