Spam Control Considered Harmful

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Tue Oct 28 18:05:02 UTC 1997

This sounds nice and principled but who is going to pay the bill for
the spam? It's non-trivial.

Perhaps someone can make a business selling spam-able accounts. Maybe
you're willing to go into that business? Tell us how it works out, let
the market decide.

At any rate, at the heart of this one is "follow the money", spammers
will gleefully send *millions* of messages per day, each.

And if they were successful in doing that they'd no doubt send more
(that is, it might even become an effective advertising channel, why
not, it's just about free so return on investment can be tiny and
appear quite successful.)

To handle that deluge requires hardware and bandwidth which means
money, expanded without any control or check (since the spammers
aren't paying why shouldn't they double their requirements on you?
Doesn't cost them double, doesn't cost them much anything.)

No one is paying for that at this point, and the business sense is
that subscribers aren't interested in paying say, double what they pay
now for spam-able accounts.

In fact the subscribers, in my non-trivial experience, are most
vociferous about demanding that spam be blocked, tend to hold the ISP
responsible (since no one else is available to blame), and consider
blocking spam a valuable service (as I said if you believe otherwise
then perhaps you can be the next AOL, go for it.)

Anyhow, I say that your sentiment amounts to principle at someone
else's expense.

Spammers will have "rights" when they pay their way.

Right now they're just the graffitti vandals of the net, and no they
can't paint their message on my store just because maybe one of my
customers likes graffitti art.

But if you think otherwise by all means go for it and start your
service.