Which pipe dream should we be smoking? (was Re: Possible topic?)

Vadim Antonov avg at pluris.com
Wed Oct 22 02:57:15 UTC 1997

On Oct 21, "Dorian R. Kim" <dorian at blackrose.org> wrote:

> Then perhaps it might of interest to start a meta discussion about
> problems of scalability of Gigaswitch based exchange points as well as
> possible future direction of such large exchange points?

Gigabit Ethernet as a backbone technology -- too little, too late.
IMO, betting on physical media speeds keeping up with traffic
is silly.

Actually, there is at least one known way to build an exchange
point which scales nearly indefinitely.  We're working on making
it real.  Other folks may have other ideas.

--vadim