Web Biz Universal Remove List Update

Craig A. Huegen chuegen at quadrunner.com
Mon Oct 20 01:41:23 UTC 1997

On Sun, 19 Oct 1997, J.D. Falk wrote:

==>	I hope everybody realizes that this is very likely to
==>	INCREASE the amount of spam that gets sent to the nanog
==>	list -- even if we get less from this specific company.
==>	I think it's time we closed it off and bounced messages
==>	from non-subscribers.

The "IEMMC" crap that Sanford Wallace promoted was also an engine to
generate addresses for spam use.  I know of a few people (including
myself) who tested this theory by using a very old account from which we
had never posted to Usenet, mailing lists, etc., and signed up for "less
spam" through the IEMMC site.

Almost immediately, these accounts began receiving nearly 20 spams a day.
It was pretty sad to see that certain providers who promoted the IEMMC
actually believed that it would be beneficial to users and not harmful.

/cah