Denial of service attacks apparently from UUNET Netblocks

Jay R. Ashworth jra at scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us
Thu Oct 9 04:09:39 UTC 1997

On Wed, Oct 08, 1997 at 11:09:35PM -0500, John A. Tamplin wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > To belabor the obvious, remember that not all dialups are hosts; what
> > you need to set as the filter on the source addresses is a _netmask_.
>
> And for those, you aren't dynamically assigning the addresses so it is
> easy to build a filter for them.

Usually.  I could see a circumstance where a small LAN was using an
ISDN dial on demand link...  You're not dynamically assigning the
address... but you _are_ dynamically assigning it to a port.

Cheers,
-- jra
The Suncoast Freenet      "People propose, science studies, technology
Tampa Bay, Florida          conforms."  -- Dr. Don Norman      +1 813 790 7592