Denial of service attacks apparently from UUNET Netblocks

John A. Tamplin jat at traveller.com
Wed Oct 8 04:38:37 UTC 1997

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> Sometimes.  CNID bounces around with forwarded calls, as was pointed
> out to me in private mail earlier today, whilst ANI will be from the
> _last_ site in a forwarding chain -- since that's the only place an
> INWATS subscriber is paying for a call from.

As has been pointed out, it is dangerous to generalize from a singular
experience, but what we get from BellSouth over PRIs is the last number
that the call originated from.  For a couple of our cities, we have a
call forwarding service that will carry blocks of 10 simultaneous calls
using remote call forwarding.  They are in an area-calling band, which
has a capped rate, so we can offer local numbers to customers that don't
have area calling.  The limitations are that BellSouth's reporting is
utterly useless (so we have to use our logs to try and figure out the
utilization of those trunks), ISDN calls aren't forwarded, and the calling
number the Ascend gets is that of our number that is fowarded to here.
Thus, we have no usefull caller identification for those lines.

Our BellSouth rep has always used the terms ANI and CNID interchangeably.

John Tamplin					Traveller Information Services
jat at Traveller.COM				2104 West Ferry Way
205/883-4233x7007				Huntsville, AL 35801