[NOOP] 24x7 NOC..

Paul Ferguson ferguson at cisco.com
Fri Oct 3 02:07:09 UTC 1997

It should be noted that larger NOC operations understand
that their staff members will either:

 o Burn out and die.

 o Learn lots and get a real job with better pay.

Thus, many NOC supervisors generally rate the expected
lifetime for a NOC staff member at 13 months. Really.

Having said that, it would behoove a good NOC supervisor
to understand how to best use the resources at their disposal.
That means not burning people our prematurely.

Or better yet, burn them out. That means that once they get
some real experience under their belts, the rest of us
can hire them.  :-)

At least, that seems to be the case at the telco's.

- paul