Cisco config generator

Alex P. Rudnev alex at Relcom.EU.net
Fri Nov 28 20:33:39 UTC 1997

> Subject: Cisco config generator
>
> Happy holidays!
>
> Has anyone found a good way (read program) to manage cisco configs? I
> rolled me own but it's crude at best. I was hoping for some recent tool
> that can handle multiple routers with common ACL's, etc.
We use our oun tools, or exactly - the set of tools:

- Cisco loader, watching about sections of config - if someone remove
customer, static route, interface or so on from config file, this program
makes confin in the CISCO the same as in the file (remove old lines of
config, resets interfaces etc);
- Cisco config builder, config are build from the set of object:
	- the set of sections (every customer really is the single section);
	- the set of includes, includes can be:
		- generated by the data base
		- edited manually

For example, every IP routing or ACL are generated by data base.

And every day I watch another system (from RELARN.RU), they build config
as the set of objects pointed to each other (example - if I describe
interface, I do it by WWW and I can install ACCESS-LIST for incoming
traffic, this list is an object (just as interface is an object); I write
into the WWW form:

 Incoming access list: KIAE-IN

Then I fill in another form, defining object ACCESS-LIST: KIAE-IN, and
config builder authomatically build config from the interface section and
add KIAE-IN ACL (and assign the number if it should be numbered access
list). It's not real description, through, but hope idea is clean.

Unfortunately 90% of this tools on the market are for corporative
networks - DRAG-AND-DROP, build initial config (it's no easy this task),
and build OSPF for 1,000 routers... It differ from ISP hardly.

> Best regards,
>
> David Van Allen - FASTNET(tm) / You Tools Corporation
> dave at fast.net (888)321-FAST(3278) http://www.fast.net
> FASTNET - Business and Personal Internet Solutions

Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 239-10-10, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)